With each passing day, the legal industry’s reliance on technology multiplies. If properly utilized, technology can help your law firm’s success in a myriad of ways- from increasing overall efficiency to improving client communication and more.
Make The Most Of Existing Technology
Many believe the incorporation of technology within the law firm is an expensive task, but this isn’t always the case. The internet offers many inexpensive, useful tools that can be a great asset to your firm.
Social Media: As potential clients will first look to the internet when searching for legal information or advice, an effective social media presence is very important. This includes maintaining a Facebook, Google+ page, blog, and any other platform you can think of, such as Instagram or Twitter, as you never know where people will look. Simply having an account is not enough; the most important feature social media can offer is company-client engagement. Update regularly and answer questions in a timely fashion to maintain the interest of your audience. Blog posts should be about more than marketing; anticipate the questions your audience is likely to ask, and answer by creating a blog post regarding the topic. In this way, you can become a reliable, trusted source of information, and people will be more likely to turn to you when seeking legal assistance in the future.
Video Conferencing: While face to face meetings with clients are very important, finding the time within a busy schedule is often difficult, particularly in the midst of travels. However, with so many reliable video chat services, such as iChat and Skype, scheduling a meeting time is less challenging, and the meeting itself won’t be as time consuming for your client.
Mobile Applications: There are many applications readily available for your smartphone or iPad that can be extremely convenient in your day to day affairs. Lawyers are buzzing about the following applications:
- GoodReader: This application’s utilization of cloud storage allows you to sync files from your computer to your mobile device, making documents and briefs easily accessible on the go.
- Black’s Law Dictionary, 9th Edition: Having the world’s most comprehensive law dictionary available at your fingertips is an indispensable point of reference.
- LogMeIn: This application allows you to access a remote desktop, such as your work computer, through your mobile device. Forgetting to sync an important document from a remote desktop is no longer an issue.
These are just three examples from hundreds of applications lawyers may find useful. When browsing the iTunes App Store, you will find many more.
General Technology Tips
Technology has the potential to greatly benefit your law firm, so don’t let it go to waste. Here are some important tips to keep in mind.
- Remember that technology is constantly changing and improving. Be conscious of updates, as they foster greater efficiency and quality of work.
- Be conscious of each employee’s knowledge and familiarity with technology. Even seemingly simple applications can prove troubling upon one’s initial introduction. Though more work at the onset, providing a training seminar may ultimately speed the learning process. Even if an employee has prior knowledge of an application or program, learning the proper way to use it may inform them of the most efficient practices.
- While calculating your firm’s yearly budget, anticipate for changes in technology and potential glitches.
- Consider the needs of each individual member of your law firm. When regarding an employee, you should ask yourself what equipment or software will allow him to accomplish a task with the greatest efficiency and ease. The answer will likely be different for each employee, and recognizing this can save you a lot of money, as not everyone needs the same equipment.